Hashtags may feature as the most recent trend in marketing campaigns, but it is important to be aware that they are not appropriate for every, tweet and picture on Instagram or Facebook. Hashtags should be used in moderation. The hash sign can be a powerful tool, but there are a few considerations that need to be taken into account before hashtagging is deployed as a part of your strategic communications.
Main reasons for using hashtags:
- Interaction: Hashtags are used to engage with people and create a network of interaction.
- Promotion and feedback: Hashtags make it possible to promote your campaign or event and monitor its success, thereby allowing you to see what people think.
- Building buzz: Hashtags allow for current and potential customers to search for tweets. Using them correctly can help increase the buzz around your product or service by boosting views.
- Encouraging brevity: Hashtags enable users to emphasise their overall point and purpose of the tweet in just one or two words.
Why hashtags fail?
- Lack of consistency: This can cause your campaign momentum to fail. Ensuring a regular messaging output will keep people interested.
- Misuse: Using poor key words mean that your hashtags will not be seen by others.
- Too many hashtags: One of the most irritating uses of hashtags is… #Using #Too #Many #Hashtags #In #Your #Posts.
- Irrelevant hashtags: Hashtags should always stick to the campaign message you wish to convey. A hashtag should consider the ‘five Wives and a Husband’: Who, What, When, Where, Why and How.
Tips for a successful hashtag marketing campaign:
– Find out what your audience is already talking about
– Use appropriate channels and a low barrier to entry
– Be genuine
– Partner with traditional media
– Be strategic with paid promotion
– Look for creative real-time marketing opportunities
We have recently seen several successful marketing campaigns, which we have liked, followed, tweeted and retweeted. Look at what makes for a successful campaign and learn from them. Always keep up with the latest trending hashtags. These can guide you as to the current thoughts and sentiments in the social media sphere and help you tailor your own output accordingly.