We let the facts do the talking.

The Know-How Edition: Become a LinkedIn influencer

Why LinkedIn?

LinkedIn is one of the most important social media platforms available to the professional community whose value has grew further when it crossed the one-billion-member mark. The platform offers a collaborative functionality between the professionalism of a company website and the interaction of a social media profile that offers multiple ways to boost one’s network.

Over three million businesses now maintain their online presences through LinkedIn, which gives them a key vantage point from which to reach out to stakeholders, targeted customers, and potential recruits through the platform’s daily 200 million users.

LinkedIn affords users the opportunity to advertise their skills and credentials along with testimonials from various individuals that are part of their network, and gives them the chance to share industry insights and informative content that, at times, proves educational, along with work accomplishments and connection opportunities.

It values relationships and is a tool that helps reach out to others while expanding professional online footprints. In the era of digital and new age PR, it is crucial for PR consultants to make their mark in the online world, starting with curated online profiles.

How to become a strong influencer on LinkedIn

Working at one of the top PR agencies in Dubai, we’ve learnt the practice of marketing your brand and yourself in a professionally lit online space. If you don’t already have an account, here are five steps to get you started and make you an effective LinkedIn influencer:

Create a strong account

  • Put a clear and professional image of yourself and then add a Profile Headline to your current position, along with a summary of your skills

Build a true network

  • The wider your relationship, the more influential you become. The rule of thumb is that your network of personal friends and colleagues should not exceed 30%. The remaining 70% should be friends and colleagues directly connected to you or your business

Write specialised articles

  • Draft successful case studies that you have worked on previously, or articles that address a relevant topic, and always include examples to support your claim


  • Keep in touch with your audience on an ongoing basis. The wider your audience is, the more you will get noticed in the business market

Show your strength and act like an influencer

  • Express your social and professional views without focusing on negative issues. This may not always be avoided in certain industry situations, so approach your communication with care and establish the right solution for a problem.

With these five steps and with an impactful profile, you are bound to get noticed on this extremely important space. LinkedIn offers more than just an online CV and can be utilised to a brand’s benefit as well.

Ribal Temraz is Account Manager at Cicero & Bernay Public Relations, an independent PR agency headquartered in Dubai offering new-age public relations consultancy to the UAE and across the MENA region. |