Applying psychology to understand your client needs
In the previous part, I explained how psychology is intertwined with PR and how it can help you enhance your strategy. In this part, I will share some tips on how you can better understand your client needs through psychology.
There are many things you can do to understand your clients, but one of the main secrets is establishing their behaviour. Only when you fully grasp this factor can you uncover what they really need and how best to give it to them.
To fully understand how you can grasp this factor, I have listed below some tips to help guide you through the process:
- Personalisation: Personalising the experience for your client is one of the best ways to connect with them. Try not to think about your client as an entity, rather an individual.
- Be active: When you are active, whether it is by email, phone call, or even social media, you are signalling your client that you are available, no matter what. This helps strengthen the bond between you, bringing you one step closer to your goals.
- Help them learn new things: Educating your clients on specific matters related to their sector can be hugely beneficial. It can be as simple as sending them an article recently published in a noted publication and noting their take on it. This can help you tailor content that specifically interests them.
- Tell your brand story: Be a storyteller, tell them your and your agency’s latest experiences and successes, this allows them to believe that they are an integral part of your success story, which can ultimately give them the platform to explain what they need to succeed.
- Have the last word: As simple as it can be, having the last word in this scenario means to carefully listen to client requests, and then laying out a proposal or idea that suits their needs. This allows them to believe that you are the best option they have.
It is fascinating how psychology can affect your verbal communication, and uncovering the secrets of psychology is not a process that is completed in a day. Stay tuned for my upcoming blogs to uncover the secret communication of the body and mind!
Antoine Boghos is Account Executive at Cicero & Bernay Public Relations, an independent PR agency headquartered in Dubai offering new-age public relations consultancy to the UAE and across the MENA region. | www.cbpr.me