In this part of my blog, I am going to jot down a few points relating to my PR experience that ultimately played a significant role in making my journey as a new mom more organised and less stressful.
- Always available – Clients consider us PR professionals as partners and want you there whenever they need. Same with the baby. There is no specific time the demand or crisis would arise – you need to be ready, always.
- Multitasking – A lot of us (PR professionals) multitask at work. But in the journey of motherhood, you need to keep your mind sane and think in the right directions to avoid any catastrophes. In PR we work across various industries and be able to switch our attention and mind to wherever needed – this skill comes in handy when you are a mom.
- Plan your day in advance – Even if you have immaculately slated out your day, there is a probability that unexpected situations will arise. But if you have activities planned, it’s easier to get back on track to the schedule after you are distracted due to sudden tasks.
- Understand the situation – Problems come without schedule. Sometimes, your preparedness is not the answer. As a professional and as a mother, this remains the same – all you need is a collected mind and a zealous heart to guide you through and let you look at things in a different light, with a different perspective.
- Continue reading – Both kids and the industry – are continuously evolving. Being updated is a must and nothing fulfils this need better than reading. Read as much as you can – so you are equipped with the best solutions when problems arise.
Overall, lessons learnt at work made my motherhood journey easy and motherhood in-turn made it easy for me to transition back to work!
Lovelyn Rodrigues is Account Manager at Cicero & Bernay Public Relations, an independent PR agency headquartered in Dubai offering new-age public relations consultancy to the UAE and across the MENA region. | www.cbpr.me